The Dan River Basin Association's mission is to preserve and promote the natural and cultural resources of the Dan River Basin through stewardship, recreation and education. DRBA envisions an economically vibrant bi-state community with a regional identity, where people enjoy easy access to healthy rivers, parks, trails and heritage attractions. The Dan River Basin Association has three key program areas: stewardship, recreation, education.
Join us in our mission to help protect and promote the Dan River Basin! DRBA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes diversity in the workplace.
There are no full-time positions available at this time. Please check again as available positions are posted periodically.
There are no part-time positions available at this time. Please check again as available options are posted periodically.
Trout in the Classroom (TIC) Intern
Location: Southern Virginia and northern North Carolina
Duration: December - June 2015; 1-3 days per week
Compensation: Travel stipend is possible
Summary: The TIC intern is to provide support to the Education Outreach Coordinator for the Trout in the Classroom program in Virginia and North Carolina.
Duties: Assist with delivery of materials/equipment to schools; assist teachers with tanks; repair systems as needed; respond to calls from teachers and/or school officials dealing with TIC; assist in preparing and delivering presentations to classrooms; assist with trout releases; report all inquiries to supervisor; and other related tasks
-must be enrolled in a biology related degree and have some understanding of ecology
-must have own transportation and cell phone
-must be willing to travel, on-call if necessary and flexible
-must be able to lift 25lbs
-must be willing to get dirty and/or wet and possibly work in inclement weather conditions
-positive attitude, neat appearance and ability to work with students and faculty of all ages
-ability to pass a background check, if needed
-ability to work independently with little to no supervision
It is important to report on time when scheduled. If unable to attend, must inform supervisor.
Dan River Basin Association
Summer Water Quality Monitoring Program Intern in Danville
Location: Danville, Virginia Office
Duration: 10 (or more) weeks; Start and End dates flexible; 1-3 days per week
Supervisor: Amy Farinelli, Program Coordinator
Summary: Intern is to provide general support to the Danville Program Coordinator in establishing and managing water quality programs in the Danville, Pittsylvania, and Caswell County areas. Such support includes, but is not limited to:
- Assisting in the recruitment and management of volunteers
- Establishing a special water quality monitoring webpage on danriver.org
- Managing and analyzing samples brought in by volunteers, including data entry
- Equipment calibration
- Equipment kit preparation and reporting any lab equipment needs to supervisor
- Anticipating and reporting possible needs or issues of the program
- Any other program assistance or projects as deemed necessary by supervisor.
- Must be enrolled in a biology related degree and have some understanding of ecology
- Must have own transportation and cell phone
- Must be willing to travel
- Must be willing to get dirty and/or wet and possibly work in inclement weather conditions
- Great interpersonal skills as well as a positive attitude and interest in work
- Ability to work independently.
It is important to report on time when scheduled; if unable to attend, must inform supervisor. It is also important to respond to emails and phone correspondence from supervisor in a timely and professional manner.
Amy Farinelli, Program Coordinator
Dan River Basin Association