Rockingham County Pathways
Increasingly people are utilizing trails, greenways and open space for recreation and transportation. Rockingham County Pathways identifies existing trail and greenway assets, while cataloguing both opportunities and strategies for connecting people along trails to destinations throughout the County.
Rockingham County Pathways is a long range plan that strives to work with municipalities, citizens, business owners, and landowners to identify and prioritize
opportunities to create recreational trails throughout Rockingham County.
For more information on Rockingham County Pathways, including how you can become involved, contact Jenny Edwards, Program Manager.
The following goals can be achieved by completing the trail projects found in this plan:
- Link safe places to improve health by increasing the variety of opportunities residents have and providing more off-road venues for physical activity.
- Expand recreation opportunities and improve access, providing outdoor activities for all age groups.
- Protect open space, streams and rivers by allowing people to experience and appreciate open space on designated routes and ensuring that sensitive environmental areas are left open instead of being developed for other more intense uses.
- Support economic development by offering local destinations, attracting people to area recreational opportunities and luring industry with high quality
of life for their employees.
Pilot Project Trails
Rockingham County Pathways identifies several miles of new land trails and potential river access points. Pilot trail projects that could be easily implemented were identified and prioritized by stakeholders, with detailed maps included in the full plan, not in any particular order:
- Belews Lake Area and Knight Brown Preserve
Current Status: Trail has been completed thanks to support from Piedmont Land Conservancy, Reidsville Area Foundation,
- Smith River Greenway to Railroad Trestle (Eden)
- Madison Schools to Idol Park/Dan River
- Mayo River State Park to Farris Memorial Park and Memorial Park Mountain Bike Trail (Mayodan)
Update - 3 miles of mountain bike trail are under construction at Farris Memorial Park thanks to support from REI, Kate B. Reynolds Charitable Trust, Reidsville Area Foundation, Dan River Basin Association members, and Town of Stoneville
- Stoneville Town Park to Mayo River (Stoneville)
- Jaycee Park Trail to Reidsville Lake (Reidsville)
- Wentworth to Chinqua Penn Trail (Wentworth)
- Rockingham Community College
- Governmental Center, Animal Shelter and UMAR at the Roc (Wentworth)